Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Sexualization of Early Childhood



This week we were asked to read an article called So Sexy so Soon. I was not at all surprised about the information in the article because there are so many factors that contribute to what we are seeing with sexualization of early childhood children. Recently there was a catchy song released by Robin Thicke. I love his music by the way. The tune of the song is very catchy and has been a chart topper for most of the summer and into the l fall. The beat of the song is great and it has that R&B Marvin Gaye kind of feel in the song. It’s a song that makes you want to dance… The problem with the song is the lyrics… Throughout the song Robin Thicke is talking a girl and tells her that, “I know you want it”. He even tells her that she’s the hottest Bi*tch in the place. The beat of the song is catchy but when you really think about the lyrics, they cross the lines. I have heard my students singing these lyrics and it’s a little upsetting.  This brings to mind some of the other music that has come out recently. I wonder if the kids understand what they are signing.

Another example that I’ve seen is the way that dolls are dresses Diane E. Levin, Ph.D. & Jean Kilbourne mentioned this in the article So Sexy so Soon. The dolls they talk about are called Bratzs. My daughters have had many of these dolls. They dolls have high heels and wear sexy clothes. Most of the dolls are wearing lots of make-up. Until recently I never really thought about the image that young girls are seeing. I do tend to believe that the music and the images that children see do impact their development. I think what concerns me about the images is how young boys will view their female peers as a result of what they see.  As a mother of two girls, I sometimes find it hard to shop for my children in some of the popular children’s store. The clothing is sometimes inappropriate for their age group.

As a result of the images that children are seeing, I think that early childhood professionals can try to provide children with positive images. When they come to school singing something inappropriate that is highly sexual in nature, I would talk to the children to see if they understand what they are talking about. In the classroom setting I would play music that is more appropriate. If the child continued I would make their parent aware of the things that are being said and ask if they could make sure that the children are listening to more appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment