Sunday, September 22, 2013

"Start Seeing Diversity Video" Blog: Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation

I found this week's topic very interesting and thought provoking. Gender is something that I have often thought about throughout my teaching career. After watching the course media this week, I realize that gender roles are instilled at a very early age. In the video one of the male students informed his classmate that she couldn't be a doctor because his Dad is a doctor and doctor's can only be men. I liked the way that the teacher handled the situation. She intervened and let both students know that that way of think is called a stereotype. Addressing that way of think at an early age is what can remedy some of the gender stereotypes that exist.

Another thing I've given some thought to is the way that fairy tales have been written. As a child I really did enjoy reading them. At the end of the story everyone always, "lived happily ever after". Well, that just isn't real true. I am completely convinced that this way of thinking  has been psychologically damaging to young women from numerous generations. In the stories there was always some weak woman who needed to be saved by a man! This way of think just isn't realistic. Everyone doesn't always live happily ever after.. That was proven by two failed marriage in the British royal family. I make that point because I believe that what we read to our children really does make a difference. The women in fairly tales were always weak and needed to be saved by a man. Some magical kiss would always make everything right and that just isn't what little girls need to hear.

One thing that does make me comfortable is the way that women are presented to children in comic books. Wonder Woman and Cat Woman are two characters that took care of herself and didn't need to rely the help of a man to save them. My only issues with her character was the way that she was dressed. Why did she need to be dressed in a provocative manner to fight crime?

I think that books, the media and society help to build how children perceive gender roles. I can remember having a student who enjoyed playing in our house corner and liked wearing a purse. One day his father came in to visit and had a fit! He said, "Mrs. Lewis, I can't believe you let my son wear a pocket book! He's gonna be a sissy"! The kids were taking turns being the mother and the father and this dad wasn't happy. He walked over to his son and made him take off the purse. He even told him that boys don't play with purses only girls do. I really think if he hadn't made sure a big deal about it his son might have not have shown an interest in the purse. From that point on, the boy did everything he could to play with the purse when his father wasn't there.

Reference
Week 3 Course Media: "Start Seeing Diversity: Sexual Orientation" (Approx. length: 6 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment